Karwa Chauth, the auspicious Indian festival is one of the biggest days of celebration for Hindu married women of India. It is the festival of expressing love, sacrifice and celebrating married life. Thus sharing here in this blog a recipe of Vermilian or Seviyan Kheer with is the most important dish of Karwa Chauth Sargi.
For every married women in India, Karwa Chauth is the most awaited and special festival celebration. It is the celebration of married women as they fast for the entire day (from sunrise to moonrise) for long life and well being of her husband, get traditionally dressed and performs rituals of breaking the daylong fast with view of the moon and husband. But before all this, the day of a women starts with the ritual of Karwa Chauth sargi which is a menu of things which is eaten by a married women before the sun rise on Karwa Chauth. It is gifted by a mother-in-law to her daughter-in-law.
So to add that extra dose of sweet into your Karwa Chauth Sargi platter, here I am sharing recipe of delicious Vermicelli kheer, which is basically known as Seviyan Kheer.
Seviyan Kheer for Karwa Chauth Sargi
Recipe type: Desserts
Prep time: 5 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 20 mins
Serves: 3-4 small bowls
(measuring cup used, 1 cup = 250 ml)
• 500 ml milk
• 1 or 1.5 cups broken vermicelli/seviyan
• 2 tbsp ghee/clarified butter
• 3 tbsp sugar (as per your preferred sweetness)
• 4-5 green cardamom pods
• 7-8 roasted or fried unsalted almonds (chopped)
• 7-8 roasted or fried cashew nuts (chopped)
• 3-4 cloves/lavang
• 2 tsp raisins or
• Dry fruits (any as your preference)
How to make the recipe:
• First heat ghee in a pan.
• Then fry the cloves and cardamom till it start releasing their aroma in the ghee.
• Add the vermicelli/seviyan and fry till it starts turning golden brown.
• Now it’s time to pour milk and let it boil.
• Further add sugar into it and mix everything well.
• After this lower the flame and let the milk turn thick for 5-7 minutes till the seviyan gets cooked.
• Lastly add chopped almonds or any dry fruits in it.
• Your Seviyan Kheer is now ready to be served hot, warm or cold.
• If you want to serve it cold, then refrigerate it and then serve later.
Few Important Tips for Seviyan Kheer recipe:
1. The recipe Seviyan Kheer for Karwa Chauth Sargi can be easily doubled or tripled.
2. Use fresh & good quality milk.
3. The amount of seviyan/vermicelli can be easily increased or decreased. Adding more seviyan adds more consistency and it will turn thicker like a thick pudding. The kheer consistency can be changed as per one’s liking or taste.
4. Dry fruits can be added in to Seviyan Kheer as per your choice. If available then some saffron or rose water can be added to the seviyan kheer for addition of more aromatic flavor.
5. The seviyan kheer tends to be thick in consistency when cooled. So if you don’t like thick seviyan kheer then skip the process of thickening the milk. Alternatively you can add some more milk to the seviyan kheer for thin consistency of your choice.
Hope you liked my recipe for Seviyan Kheer and would love to try it to add it in Sargi for Karwa chauth. However for amazing Karwa Chauth gifts shopping or karwa chauth Sargi gifts, you can make your visit at karwachauth.giftalove.com . Since like any other Indian festival gifting is a major part of Karwa Chauth festival celebration too and is the conveyor of expressing thankful gratitude for a husband to his wife and for daughter-in-law and mother-in-law. Thus at the portal there is vast range of online Karwa Chauth gifts at attractive prices.
Sakshi Ecavade is our in-house content developer having a good understanding about the gifting industry. She creates quality content surrounding flowers, chocolates, plants, cakes, and other products which makes excellent gifts for the people. Accurate and authentic information is what she tries to deliver through her blogs.